Food is close to the heart for Gold Coast Indigenous leader Annie Woodcock.
She showcased the humble bush scone known as “Johnny Cakes” at the 2017 NAIDOC Celebrations at Griffith University Gold Coast campus in July.
For the proud Willi Willi woman food is central to Aboriginal culture, and she’s determined to pass it on to the next generation.
The Source has more…
JOHNNY CAKES RECIPE
- 2 cups flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil (extra virgin olive oil is the best)
- ¾ cup of milk or water
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Add the milk or water and start kneading the bread.
3. Break off smaller pieces of dough and flatten.
4. Shallow fry on BBQ or in frying pan for 10 minutes or until golden brown.