Two men injured in Fortitude Valley altercation



Two men have been stabbed in a near-fatal attack in Fortitude Valley on Sunday morning.

The incident took place at Hot Gossip nightclub on Brunswick Street at 4.20am.

A 30-year-old man suffered critical injuries while a 28-year-old man suffered non-life threatening injuries during the altercation.

A 23-year-old Crestmead man has been charged with attempted murder and is facing Brisbane Magistrate’s Court today.

Seven News reported the stabbings occurred after the president of the Bandidos bikie gang was punched by a fellow patron.

Detective Inspector Glen Farmer told reporters on Sunday that police were interviewing two men over the inquiry.

“Two of the people who are presently in custody, assisting with our inquiries do have links to the OMCG [outlaw motorcycle gang],” he said.

Detective Inspector Farmer also suggested there was no information to report and that it was a sign of escalating bikie activity in Queensland.

Other clubs and pubs in Fortitude Valley are identifying problems leading to unsocial behavior to prevent future attacks.

A promotions manager for two Fortitude valley nightclubs said establishments must identify key bikie gang members and inform their door staff and security guards to avoid future altercations.

Other tactics establishments have employed were denying entry to patrons with face, neck and hand tattoos as they are often gang affiliates.

“I think it is of key importance to increase security presence in establishments, by employing roaming guards and stationary guards in the venue it makes it possible for one to always be within eye shot of patrons, which in turn will help prevent future unsocial behavior,” the promotions manager said.

Hot Gossip has since released a statement on social media clarifying the incident and said that they are proud of how their staff handled the situation.

They said the venue has “taken on board some sound advice and adopted an updated policy which will be enforced to assist in preventing an event like this from happening again.”

Queensland Police are further investigating the incident.

Leave a Reply